Thursday, June 21, 2012

Grandma Lewis's Rhubarb Pie!

This year, our Rhubarb patch has not produced as well as in years past.  We did manage though to transport some to Georgia a few weeks ago....just enough to make two pies for mom and dad.  The recipe was passed down from Grandma Lewis to Aunt Martha to mom...now me.

 Rhubarb Pie
3 1/2 cps. rhubarb, fresh or frozen  (1" pieces)
1 1/2 cps. sugar
2 tblsps. cornstarch
1/4 cup water  

Mix the above ingredients and pour into pie shell.  Dot with 2 tbsps. butter and place top crust on, piercing with a fork.  Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.  Bake @ 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.  Place aluminum foil around the edge of crust to prevent the edges burning.

Crust
2 cps. flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup Crisco
5-6 tblsps. water



Grandma Lewis is the only grandma I knew growing up.  She was the best!  Over night stays meant sleeping in the guest bedroom with the sweetest smelling sheets and fluffiest pillows ever...We never took our own pajamas, as Grandma always supplied us with one of Grandpa's white T-shirts... which touched the floor on us.  You were princess for a day!



3 comments:

  1. I love stories like this! Infact, I have a few family photos that look alot like yours. The pie looks wonderful!!! Now I've never had a Rhubarb pie, but it sure looks wonderful! My Nanny made a chocolate cream pie that was the bomb!

    xo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a blessing! I loved reading your story and will see if I can find some rhubarb! I want to pull out family photos and recipe cards now!
    I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just given some rhubarb today. Yummm!
    Thanks for your kind comment on my post about Philippians 4:8.

    ReplyDelete